CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Crash- Elmit Fri 17 May 2019, 9:34 am

that really is a tidy looking bike, SB
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by muttley1 Fri 17 May 2019, 9:38 am

Finally my radiator has given up, the Bars treatment worked for a while but its rotting from inside to out. New one ordered from fleabay so some minor spannering on the way. Will give the bike a clean and get tank etc off later on...
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 18 May 2019, 6:11 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:that really is a tidy looking bike, SB
    Hehe. On that particular picture it actually is. And the forest is amazingly light green and - fresh. But don't believe everything you see... This is the day after I gave it The Big Spring Cleaning, including tire shine and all. Three hours of scrubbing and rubbing and polishing.

BTW, said tire shine is dangerous!! It makes the tire walls all black and shiny all right, but oh crap is it slippery... It really should come with a warning sticker on the bottle. I ended up going sideways while leaning into a corner.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Sat 18 May 2019, 6:25 pm

Today I spent no time with my CB.

I've been helping out clear the working area at a friends' garage. Because 'car time' is coming my way.

I've bought me a couple of these:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Img_2015
    Two will eventually become one once I get the engine from one transplanted into the other. And a few other tidbits...

It's going to be my biggest and most ambitious mechanical undertaking to date.

Proper vintage: Citroën CX 2500 GTi. The closest thing you can get to a flying carpet! And the very last 'real Citroën'.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Sat 18 May 2019, 7:38 pm

Spent a couple of hours getting old radiator off, putting on renthal road highs and general spannering.

Stormbringer, I ran a citroen BX 1.9 diesel for 150000 miles and definitely a smooth ride.

muttley1
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Sat 18 May 2019, 8:25 pm

I did enjoy the ride quality in my Citroen bx Very Happy
    Although I did have a hose split which bought the ride quality and height to an abrupt end Shocked
    It was an easy fix though once you realise why your magic carpet had turned into a plank.
    muttley1
    the 900
    the 900

Post by muttley1 Wed 22 May 2019, 7:39 pm

Fair amount of spannering today: new radiator on and caked on leaked old fluid scrubbed off, it seemed to have got everywhere.
    Decided not to put the fan back in - too rusty and can't recall the temp guage going over halfway anyway.
    Changed the oil and put hiflo oil filter in. Oiled chain.

Did roadtest, didn't like the road high bars (too err, high for me) so put on oe ones.

NB radiator was ebay sourced - I used alloyworks-eu and got the "race" one. Nice snug fit and looks shiny indeed. Was delivered in 48 hours too.

Another road test tomorrow and that should be that, might put rearsets on though...

muttley1
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Wed 22 May 2019, 10:01 pm

stormbringer wrote:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 Img_2015
    Proper vintage: Citroën CX 2500 GTi. The closest thing you can get to a flying carpet! And the very last 'real Citroën'.

These are wonderful cars, I'm really envious. Let's have some photos of your progress.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 13 Jun 2019, 8:27 pm

Beresford wrote:

stormbringer wrote:the very last 'real Citroën'.

These are wonderful cars, I'm really envious. Let's have some photos of your progress.

They are. But don't trust me - I'm biased.
    Started life riding passenger in my dads DS. That one lasted from 1965 to somewhere mid-eighties. He then replaced it with a DS23IE Pallas and drove it until he no longer could operate it - around 2010. Sometime around 1996 I had got me an old and knackered CX2000 which gave up the ghost 2001, being replaced by a 22TRS. That one was put into hibernation 2006 due to a divorce. 2015 i acquired a Xantia Break - bought unseen and for cash one dark october night. Come to think of it, I've only had one non-citroen-car.
    Now, the barn in which the 22TRS sits has been reclaimed, meaning all the cars in it have to go elsewhere. So I decided to go for a less rusty GTi parked next to mine. The 22TRS and a few other cars of the same make & model are now for sale. Offer ending soon... Very soon.

Getting back on topic. I've now serviced front forks and changed back to the OE can in preparation for vacation tour. Meeting up with the missus in Italy (she dislikes riding long haul so takes the plane). From there, we ride two-up to St. Tropez along the cote d'azur. Missus then gets dropped off at Nice airport and I get to spend an entire week working my way back through the Alps and as many POIs as I can cram into the days. Looking forward to that.

Also planning on doing oil+filter and perhaps plugs. Existing plugs have done 40k miles or so, and I'm considering a bit of proactive maintenance by now.
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Tue 18 Jun 2019, 5:05 pm

Repainted the front forks and downpipes.
    motofan
    motofan
    Running out of unique names

Post by motofan Wed 19 Jun 2019, 8:33 am

Filled the holes in the top of my downpipes with weld, ground them roundish and wirebrushed and painted them. At 200€ for new ones they're going to have to get used to a lot of this treatment until I win the lottery!
    Actually did this yesterday but the power went off last night in a huge thunderstorm with huge hailstones easily 1" diameter and lightning every couple of seconds. Here comes summer! Very Happy
    motofan
    motofan

Post by motofan Wed 19 Jun 2019, 8:52 am

stormbringer wrote:

Beresford wrote:

stormbringer wrote:the very last 'real Citroën'.

They are. But don't trust me - I'm biased.
    Started life riding passenger in my dads DS. That one lasted from 1965 to somewhere mid-eighties. He then replaced it with a DS23IE Pallas and drove it until he no longer could operate it - around 2010. Sometime around 1996 I had got me an old and knackered CX2000 which gave up the ghost 2001, being replaced by a 22TRS. That one was put into hibernation 2006 due to a divorce. 2015 i acquired a Xantia Break - bought unseen and for cash one dark october night. Come to think of it, I've only had one non-citroen-car.
    Now, the barn in which the 22TRS sits has been reclaimed, meaning all the cars in it have to go elsewhere. So I decided to go for a less rusty GTi parked next to mine. The 22TRS and a few other cars of the same make & model are now for sale. Offer ending soon... Very soon.

Getting back on topic. I've now serviced front forks and changed back to the OE can in preparation for vacation tour. Meeting up with the missus in Italy (she dislikes riding long haul so takes the plane). From there, we ride two-up to St. Tropez along the cote d'azur. Missus then gets dropped off at Nice airport and I get to spend an entire week working my way back through the Alps and as many POIs as I can cram into the days. Looking forward to that.

Also planning on doing oil+filter and perhaps plugs. Existing plugs have done 40k miles or so, and I'm considering a bit of proactive maintenance by now.

I'm sure you will have this planned but, if I may suggest, from Nice head inland northish and visit the Gorge de Verdon. It took me about 30 years of wanting to visit after a friend told me about it and it was worth the wait! Highly recommended! 
    Cars, I've just had to scrap my two Citroen XMs due to the tightening controles here in France. Marvellous cars, one had 360,000km on the clock the other 436,000km neither burned oil, had them for 15 and 12 years respectively and it's broken my heart to see them go, I'll never have their like again, modern cars are bland like washing machines! They had style, as have CB500s!
    Have a good trip.
    deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Sun 23 Jun 2019, 4:06 pm

Got my CB out for the first time this year - I'd been a bit despondent since dropping her last October, but hubby fitted the battery and she fired up first time - Yay!

Didn't realise I had cracked both side-panels, so need to replace those and also replace the Brake master cylinder (Brembo) - all of which seem as rare as hens-teeth. Never mind Smile

Debs
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Sun 23 Jun 2019, 7:38 pm

If you're not fussed about originality any 13mm bore master cylinder and brake lever will do and if it doesn't have the boss for the mirror you can buy the back part of the lever clamp with a boss on it. Much cheaper than a new master cylinder if that's the only bit that's broken.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173914234321
    deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Tue 25 Jun 2019, 12:17 am

Oafski wrote:If you're not fussed about originality any 13mm bore master cylinder and brake lever will do and if it doesn't have the boss for the mirror you can buy the back part of the lever clamp with a boss on it. Much cheaper than a new master cylinder if that's the only bit that's broken.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/173914234321

Thank you for the advice and the link (which I've saved), but I would like to keep my bike as stock as possible if I can Smile

Deb x
    deejay
    deejay
    Hyper Viper
    Hyper Viper

Post by deejay Wed 03 Jul 2019, 8:29 am

To be honest, although it actually happened last Saturday, I only got hold of one of the images last night, so, this is me on my CB, with over 100 other bikes representing RTTW (Ride To The Wall) at the Armed Forces Day event which occurred at the National Memorial Arboretum in Alrewas, Staffordshire.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 20190611
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 62236510
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 65444611
    Hcb
    Hcb
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Hcb Wed 03 Jul 2019, 9:41 am

Beautiful photos!!

And your CB is in perfect condition!
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 09 Jul 2019, 9:47 pm

Getting the old girl ready for this year's summer vacation.

Boring transit from Denmark through Germany & Austria to Toscana, Italy. Nicer ride along the Cote d'Azur to St tropez*. And then the really exciting stuff; explore as many of the balcony roads (found on dangerousroads.org) in the Alps as I can, working my way back north.
    @motofan: Yes, Gorges du Verdon is on my itinerary. Thanks for the tip!!
    @ojacobs: Norway has not been forgotten. Later!

So; exchanged oil+filter (this time I've gone for Castrol Power1 10W30), replaced brake fluid (right - mountains...), plugs (iridium), check+fix minor niggles, adjusted chain etc.

Building on previous years' experiences, I'm excited beyond words. More mountains, slower pace, less luggage and as much airbnb as I can find, keeping costs down while meeting the locals rather than just faceless hotel personnel. And bringing photo/video gear that's hopefully up to the task at hand. I've even gone for an 'action-cam' Smile If everything works out as planned, I'll be posting some inspiring footage come August 2019.

Anyone happen to be in the Alps area around 24 july? Meetup? Good advice? I'm game...

*) On this part of the journey, the missus will be accompanying me, riding pillion. Grand. A first-ever-experience for both of us. And then she'll take the plane back to DK, leaving me to head for the mountains all by myself... Muhahaha!
    smokingsig
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by smokingsig Wed 10 Jul 2019, 6:17 am

Changed the front brake pads.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 18 Jul 2019, 9:23 pm

Sitting in a Hotel near Nice. Bike parked outside, dirty and covered in brake dust + oil fling from the chain. Executing plan "Vacation2019", meaning i've put 2000+ kilometers on the odometer so far; the full length of Germany, Brenner pass, the Po plain, Pisa, Firenze, Lucca, part of the italian riviera and now about to hit Monaco. Not sure if the old girl likes this; she's loaded to the max-specification and the journey is hard work, hot and bumpy. I'm literally streetfighting amongst loads of Ducatis and big intimidating BMW GS1200s ridden by lunatics. Filtering takes on a whole new meaning - sometimes it's more a game of playing chicken.

But oh, aren't the mountains beautiful.

Grabbing life with both hands!
    motofan
    motofan

Post by motofan Fri 19 Jul 2019, 7:10 am

Brilliant cheers
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Tue 23 Jul 2019, 8:24 pm

I recently got a cheap carburetor synchronizing set and used it today, bike runs really nice now, so nice  I'm starting to like it.

Looks like the carbs have never been properly synchronized - although I paid a shop to do it some time after I got the bike. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 23 Jul 2019, 9:14 pm

hh_12345 wrote:Looks like the carbs have never been properly synchronized - although I paid a shop to do it some time after I got the bike. Rolling Eyes Very Happy
    So much for leaving maintenance to so-called professionals...
    hh_12345
    hh_12345
    Mothra the Radioactive
    Mothra the Radioactive

Post by hh_12345 Tue 23 Jul 2019, 9:27 pm

stormbringer wrote:

hh_12345 wrote:Looks like the carbs have never been properly synchronized - although I paid a shop to do it some time after I got the bike. Rolling Eyes Very Happy

So much for leaving maintenance to so-called professionals...

So true. You have to spend some extra money for tools, seems to be worth it, though. 

And yet you could hardly get everything they have in the shops.(that's a bit beyond maintenance of course)
    wrighty
    wrighty

Post by wrighty Wed 28 Aug 2019, 3:50 pm

Finally plucked up courage to take project for mot. He went through ok (with a few words of advice) and is now fully road legal and heading for local Thursday bike night. Some wiring still needs tidying, alloy hugger needs fabricating and the road legal Delkavic can is still a little loud for my taste, but all jobs to do in slow time.What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 19 20190713

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Sat 27 Apr 2024, 4:25 pm