CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ZekeVal Sat 19 May 2018, 7:00 pm

Wow! Hope you heal fast James Wink
    Any explanation on your crash?
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ANDYC Sat 19 May 2018, 7:35 pm

Sorry to hear about your get off. Hope you recover soon James.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 20 May 2018, 12:24 am

Hopefully you have quick recovery...james welcome to broken wrist club...   Sad
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Sun 20 May 2018, 10:25 am

Get well soon James.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 20 May 2018, 10:40 pm

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Y4m2xvrDGxyLBJJ9VNFzCt0es7BeeY_tqkGiA3OryomDyqMLKtPnYYqnItQt6-ML6omsBMYIpPL_Px5j9qw2hoOsWy1ailSnWfG6GuLAmi-h8c_7EzNCNtbVKAbZB3xjCCqiZSJPc-Dxi7jc6bRpD5HisFVcqOl6A06OxPh1sI4ueZNlNKG9LOktquYMeP00GfZyteiYY0ijMqiAj4VEliBrw?width=495&height=660&cropmode=none

With help from a working pair of hands the bikes back up and running! cheers cheers
    fgclark123
    fgclark123

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Empty My CB500 made friends with a fireblade at a local garage

Post by fgclark123 Thu 24 May 2018, 11:22 pm

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 20180510
    fgclark123
    fgclark123

Post by fgclark123 Thu 24 May 2018, 11:30 pm

very sorry to here of the crash James, hope you and the bike get well soon.
    shropshirewildman
    shropshirewildman
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by shropshirewildman Sat 26 May 2018, 3:56 pm

Just fitted new hel rear brake line and replacement bracket etc took awhile to bleed but sorted now. I haven't bothered up to now as I hardly ever use the back brake but it was binding so had to sort it.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Sat 26 May 2018, 5:27 pm

shropshirewildman wrote:Just fitted new hel rear brake line and replacement bracket etc took awhile to bleed but sorted now. I haven't bothered up to now as I hardly ever use the back brake but it was binding so had to sort it.

On mine it seems to be a yearly or bi-yearly job, depending on how much crap has got in there.
    motofan
    motofan

Post by motofan Sun 27 May 2018, 4:18 pm

Rode to Falaise, Jetwashed the bike as it was a wee bit dirty, then rode about fifty miles to dry it out. Took in lots of little "twiddly" roads of which there are loads here in Normandie with the advantage of only one car every couple of minutes!
    The bike just goes better and better as I get used to it's foibles of which it has surprisingly few. Should have bought one years ago!
    Hope you all enjoy riding yours' this summer as I anticipate enjoying mine; cheers, Dave.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 27 May 2018, 4:38 pm

Swapped out the master cylinder because of a seized bolt and fitteded the adjustable levers I ordered a month ago. Gave her a polish using my oil method and she looks good again.
    Also ordered the rear caliper kit that @shropshirewildman said fit our rear caliper.
    I'll report back with my findings.. BRA51955 https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=60&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_15_60_HA_40
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Sun 27 May 2018, 4:44 pm

Changed my clutch cable; the sheath of the old one was knackered.
    Oiled the new one with engine oil. 
    Now waiting for my torque wrenches and Carbtune to arrive to tackle the valve clearance and carb sync.
    motofan
    motofan

Post by motofan Sun 27 May 2018, 5:21 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Swapped out the master cylinder because of a seized bolt and fitteded the adjustable levers I ordered a month ago. Gave her a polish using my oil method and she looks good again.
    Also ordered the rear caliper kit that @shropshirewildman said fit our rear caliper.
    I'll report back with my findings.. BRA51955 https://www.motorworks.co.uk/vlive/Shop/Parts.php?T=5&NU=15&M=60&Ct=HA&SbCt=BA_15_60_HA_40

Looks like a bleeding good idea!
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 29 May 2018, 11:40 am

Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's. There is 2 issues I've got, one is that it only reads upto 99.9kmh which is fine (62mph) the second is that the magnet for the pickup can't fit anywhere. So I've ordered a 6mm wide magnet and it'll get pushed into one of the disc mounting bolts. I've managed to calculate the circumference of my tyre to ensure accuracy. I'll mainly be using it for in towns where speed camera's (radar) are but also in italy where their national speed limit is only 56mph (90kmh)
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 30 May 2018, 7:33 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's.
    ??
    You've got accuracy issues with the speedo?

Did you change front tyre dimensions, meaning the OE speedometer won't fit your setup or is the speedometer faulty?

I'm asking because mine is practically dead on target with a new front tire, increasing to +3% with a worn one.

As an alternative to the bicycle speedo with its ab-factory-limitations, a satnav usually comes with speed readout. Some (most?) even seem to know about speed limits where you are riding. Don't know about fining level in your local area, but here in Denmark one speeding ticket ~ price of a satnav. Assuming you don't go off the deep end, that is. If you do, your license to drive is endangered or even withdrawn.

And a satnav comes with an added bonus - it makes childs play of navigating, including those occasions where you just go riding without a plan. Auto-centered map with auto-updated NSEW-heading. Forget about folding paper maps to fit into the tankbag lid...

I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Wed 30 May 2018, 8:09 pm

Fitted new, short, adjustable, milled, blue-coloured and absolutely gorgeous levers to the brake and clutch assemblies on my handlebar.

I like 'em being short - it actually reduces the handlebar's width, improving my filtering capabilities a bit.
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Wed 30 May 2018, 9:10 pm

stormbringer wrote:I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?

Yup that would be grand Wink

stormbringer wrote:Fitted new, short, adjustable, milled, blue-coloured and absolutely gorgeous levers to the brake and clutch assemblies on my handlebar.

I like 'em being short - it actually reduces the handlebar's width, improving my filtering capabilities a bit.

One word: Pictures !!  geek
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 31 May 2018, 9:33 am

stormbringer wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:Fitted a cycle computer to mine today. Mainly for the accuracy in km's.
    ??
    You've got accuracy issues with the speedo?

Did you change front tyre dimensions, meaning the OE speedometer won't fit your setup or is the speedometer faulty?

I'm asking because mine is practically dead on target with a new front tire, increasing to +3% with a worn one.

As an alternative to the bicycle speedo with its ab-factory-limitations, a satnav usually comes with speed readout. Some (most?) even seem to know about speed limits where you are riding. Don't know about fining level in your local area, but here in Denmark one speeding ticket ~ price of a satnav. Assuming you don't go off the deep end, that is. If you do, your license to drive is endangered or even withdrawn.

And a satnav comes with an added bonus - it makes childs play of navigating, including those occasions where you just go riding without a plan. Auto-centered map with auto-updated NSEW-heading. Forget about folding paper maps to fit into the tankbag lid...

I once promised you guys a review of the TomTom Rider satnav series. Maybe I should go and actually do it?

I noticed when I was riding last time that I was often holding people up even with knowing the mph/km conversion. but I'm also running a 70 profile tyre and not an 80 so it over reads. I worked out before that my speedo is 5% over reading but even so with satnav it's not 100% as it can't take into account elevation changes + they all have a deliberate error for their accuracy built in.
    mikethebike
    mikethebike
    Crotch Rocketuer
    Crotch Rocketuer

Post by mikethebike Thu 31 May 2018, 12:41 pm

Picking mine up from it's 60,000 mile service later on today. Had a few odds 'n' ends done to it while it was in the garage too.  New (second hand) right and left rear indicator mounts fitted - you may recall I said in my 5 years with a Tango orange diary entry that the left one had rotted away, so the indicator has been mounted to the rear mudguard on that side of the bike for the past six months.  The right bracket has just started to rust through at the top now as well, + the indicator stalk on that side has managed to crack itself in half over the past month or so, so has been held in place with regular re-applications of gaffa tape. I've had the shell on that replaced as part of the extra work too. 

The crash bars are now off as well (to be re-fitted at 64,00 miles, so around November time).  My mini summer project is to rub down and re-finish the bars with rattle cans and to try and tidy up the engine cases whist they are off too.  Might even treat myself to a touch up pen from RS Bike Paints and run around all the numerous stone chips she has picked up in the last 18 years as well.  The front forks could do with being tarted up too, but that might be a bridge too far! 

Meantime, I'll be selling a kidney to pay the rather large bill I'm facing this afternoon.  If you know anyone that is in need of one feel free to PM me... Laughing
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 31 May 2018, 9:52 pm

ZekeVal wrote:
    Yup that would be grand Wink

One word: Pictures !!  geek
    Review will take some time to produce. I've ridden something like 30.000 km with TomTom Rider satnavs, the latest being the new 550. Install is a custom mount, setting the screen as low as I could possibly get it:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2015
    This yields a nice and tidy 'dashboard' with everything visible:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2016

Milled handles - you wanted pictures:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2017
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2018

Besides being adjustable and nice to look at, they are short! This means the handlebar-assembly becomes narrower. Like this:
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2019
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 Img_2020

Mirrors are chinese 9£ foldable elCheapos.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 31 May 2018, 10:45 pm

Jameshambleton wrote: even so with satnav it's not 100% as it can't take into account elevation changes + they all have a deliberate error for their accuracy built in.
    Satnavs use GPS technology, operating in full 3D, meaning elevation changes can be included  when the CPU calculates velocity using data retrieved from the GPS subsystem. The NMEA spec specifies lots of things, including Speed over Ground and Altitude. AFAIK it's a matter of doing trigonometry and combine that with time measurements. Voila; true velocity. However, I do not know if mine operates with true velocity. Interesting. I may have to find an elevator to test that.
    Not that I think it will matter. Most roads are <10% incline, meaning true velocity ~ horizontal velocity. Eg. 1/cos(15 degrees)= 1.035; 3.5% delta for a 15 degrees incline.

I'll believe satnavs have velocity filtering/smoothing built-in, but not a deliberate error. Feel free to prove me wrong.

Methinks they are safe to trust when it comes to speed indication.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 02 Jun 2018, 11:41 am

Sheps engine sliders/ protectors came today at a costly price of £45 considering I can now get 2 pairs for £50 from someone else but needs must..

Also I test fitted the bmw rear caliper parts and they're a perfect fit so I've updated this thread
    http://www.cb500club.net/t5810-caliper-replacement-parts#54549

bikes going to be 100% sorted soon
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sat 02 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

polished my tank so i can see what the actual colour is. (I know it's green but it's faded and coated in road grime. my new radiator cowels are  now painted with Rover British Rracing green and do'nt look too bad.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Mon 04 Jun 2018, 4:26 pm

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 8 20180611
    What's the best way to tidy this grab handle or pillion bit up? Is it just an Allen bolt in as other side or any other idea? I took off the renntec and don't need a pillion handle either. Any idea of size of bolt offhand?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 08 Jun 2018, 7:17 pm

Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks. I ran over an un-marked roadworks on Wednesday and now find both wheels are buckled. tyres (nearly new) still inflated but probable sidewall damage also.

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 3:55 pm