CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

skyrider
    skyrider
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by skyrider Fri 08 Jun 2018, 8:08 pm

that's bad news and more expense Neutral
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 08 Jun 2018, 10:39 pm

Beresford wrote:Bollocks, bollocks, bollocks. I ran over an un-marked roadworks on Wednesday and now find both wheels are buckled. tyres (nearly new) still inflated but probable sidewall damage also.

buckled as in the rim has run out or buckled as in you've mushroomed over the edge.... either way you must have been going 45+ mph?
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:03 pm

Yep, James. About 45-50 on the main Bangor - Belfast dual carriageway. They'd cut the road surface with a saw and removed a few inches of tarmac before digging a trench. And hadn't got round to using warning cones ( though there were loads there when I returned to photograph it.) and it also had very sharp edges.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 08 Jun 2018, 11:25 pm

If you've mushroomed the edge you should still be good to use the rims run out on the other end not so much
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names

Post by ZekeVal Sat 09 Jun 2018, 10:06 am

Got a new front tyre 2 days ago (Metzeler Roadtec 01) and solved my noise/vibration issue, finally enjoying the CB again !! Cool

Oh, but spotted this tiny crack on my front disc: https://drive.google.com/file/d/0By4aelPHaiNNdEFOTkRYMUVEV0tYenNkUTdRSnJFYzAzZVBz/view?usp=sharing

New one on its way.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:13 pm

Ive got those cracks on front disc of cb500s ...its a simular front disc james & beresford were talking about a while ago
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:16 pm

wornsprokets wrote:Ive got those cracks on front disc of cb500s ...its a simular front disc james & beresford were talking about a while ago
    So when they're good, they're very very good. But not always...........
    Maybe James' style of riding affraid  re-tempers them so they last well ?
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 10 Jun 2018, 12:42 pm

Beresford wrote:
    wornsprokets wrote:Ive got those cracks on front disc of cb500s ...its a simular front disc james & beresford were talking about a while ago
    So when they're good, they're very very good. But not always...........
    Maybe James' style of riding affraid  re-tempers them so they last well ?

So quick to bounce this onto me.... first of all I never use my brakes as they're for wimps.. secondly when I do the disc sometimes gets a hint of blue particularly on the mallusk sliproad coming off the m2 doing 120ish with stopped traffic at the lights
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Sun 10 Jun 2018, 1:47 pm

My disc is a SunStar (OEM) FYI.
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Tue 12 Jun 2018, 8:01 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 20180611
    What's the best way to tidy this grab handle or pillion bit up? Is it just an Allen bolt in as other side or any other idea? I took off the renntec and don't need a pillion handle either. Any idea of size of bolt offhand?

Buy a second hand grab rail off ebay and give it a coat of paint... fit it to the bike :)

Can't remember the size of the bolt but it's probably something like an allen bolt with a rounded head (look here). Note that a 'new' grab rail costs £175 and is currently 'unavailable' !!
    ANDYC
    ANDYC
    the 900
    the 900

Mechanic

Post by ANDYC Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:02 pm

I have one available if you want one.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:10 pm

I did a thing....
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 Y4mOotCn6c4wFefjGDVXDr-SI7fiCmJR9cMTErBBvG8WbIGqu04ju1mne1ni_gP23qXw7fJoAITIJf59oLeXaBg9TOK2CkK-1n-bLF-zIrTVZz-e_Hl3qXngLf-FnbkhVhCX4nqAb_MowyzUFZuYp5P4NkmACN_U3WB4qB-dPqL0OOCOkXwrQVHwcIDJVKXCzAJ-ebQ3fqIJOTWRAma3DqMog?width=1024&height=575&cropmode=none

Thread on how to steal your own cb500 without a key when the steering lock is on possibly coming soon.
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Tue 12 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:I did a thing....
    Chuckling...

Apart from the timing (yours would classify as 'bad' as you had to steal your own bike) I've been there too. Got tired of a worn-down assembly + several keys and decided to replace the lot with a complete set I bought from AndyC. Nice bit of tinkering on a sunday afternoon... However, wouldn't want to do it under stress.

Looking forward to your article.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 12 Jun 2018, 11:20 pm

stormbringer wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:I did a thing....
    Chuckling...

Apart from the timing (yours would classify as 'bad' as you had to steal your own bike) I've been there too.

However, wouldn't want to do it under stress.

How about with a broken wrist  tongue  Rolling Eyes
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 Y4m2UmOdI-Pc7Nnvui1uYGFkuMUTCrbfJXj-ae6VNDzpy1LpzJTGLRZpPngS9vQtLNuvfIM6KMneTNYyPfKsz_nbJBA4P4xd99Z-GPn5gMnqwdTkKMeylVFp5bCYjkgiwi71ZA7B-4H_n0KsPP5t2SLSeJdf4ej9oTu-GvPJjs3cNWMjMVa7_7QIDtaU1c75rWOXr_fj02NZLHbSiOKTWiUhQ?width=768&height=1024&cropmode=none
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Wed 13 Jun 2018, 11:15 am

eternally_troubled wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 20180611
    What's the best way to tidy this grab handle or pillion bit up? Is it just an Allen bolt in as other side or any other idea? I took off the renntec and don't need a pillion handle either. Any idea of size of bolt offhand?

Buy a second hand grab rail off ebay and give it a coat of paint... fit it to the bike Smile

Can't remember the size of the bolt but it's probably something like an allen bolt with a rounded head (look here).  Note that a 'new' grab rail costs £175 and is currently 'unavailable' !!

I don't ever take anyone on the bike and won't so was trying to see how it is without the rack/handle on. I like the look, but the gap is a bit unsightly. Halfords again for a bung but it didn't work as the gap is to big inside for the lip of blank to grip.

Thanks anyway! I did look at the handles and they are a lot of really scabby ones up for thirty quid plus .  Not sure what I'll do. If I keep it, I might get it done by a body shop filled and painted etc.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 14 Jun 2018, 1:12 pm

This morning I've buggered one of my indicators due to water getting into it and rusting it solid.

I've replaced the cush drive rubbers, the rear caliper hanger, the rear caliper spring - pin - plate... had to use the angle grinder to get the old pin out.

Managed to also refit the front headlight bracket, top yoke, preload the steering bearings, bars, clocks, front caliper.

Also found that my neutral light, oil light and all the bulbs behind the clocks have blown or stopped working... but the light beam and indicators all work scratch clutch switch also isn't working
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Thu 14 Jun 2018, 2:32 pm

Surprised you didn't bodge the cush drive by packing it out with old bits of inner-tube or old wine bottle corks, etc. That's what I'd try, anyway.  drunken
    stormbringer
    stormbringer
    the 900
    the 900

Post by stormbringer Thu 14 Jun 2018, 3:03 pm

Jameshambleton wrote:
    stormbringer wrote:However, wouldn't want to do it under stress.

Aiai caramba! Even worse...

I hope that wrist heals soon.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Thu 14 Jun 2018, 4:42 pm

Balls - missed that. What's the story there then??
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Thu 14 Jun 2018, 5:28 pm

trevor machine wrote:Surprised you didn't bodge the cush drive by packing it out with old bits of inner-tube or old wine bottle corks, etc. That's what I'd try, anyway.  drunken
    For a tenner to get it done properly it wasn't worth messing about with an innertube and a stanley knife - usually I slice my hands open with them.

stormbringer wrote:
    Jameshambleton wrote:
    stormbringer wrote:However, wouldn't want to do it under stress.

Aiai caramba! Even worse...

I hope that wrist heals soon.

They removed the pot yesterday but didn't xray it so could still be broken... who knows... Shocked Laughing

trevor machine wrote:Balls - missed that. What's the story there then??

I never actually wrote up what happened on here so here we go.

Pulling off a grass verge onto the road (slight uphill) the rear has spun up, I've steered left to compensate. The rear wheel hit the curb and gripped up and its basically highsided me and chucked me across onto the other side of the road across the white line. It threw the bike in the air with me still on it, half a meter in the air and 3 meters across the road - then the bike span either 180 or 360 degrees.
    I can't recall been thrown across the road or the bike spinning my friend who was behind me told me.. who also happens to be my boss so at least work knows I wasn't been stupid.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Thu 14 Jun 2018, 9:12 pm

By the sounds of things that's a very similar crash to mine a few years ago when I broke my clavicle.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Fri 15 Jun 2018, 4:37 pm

"when scrubbing in new tyres avoid hard accelerlation, braking and cornering for the first 100miles/200km"

45km's later (according to my cycle speedo) translates to 28 miles from a brand new tyres with the stickers still on them the rear tyre looks like this.
    Yes that's the beginning of ripples and yes those are tyre release molding marks that haven't come off yet.
    What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 9 Y4mXS036vSi_9Qpisw6vRRQ6EsVajHjK7ZVIj5mLbWfjH-7FVwOY-752MKqUHMnFonvJWGEgUx74KBg5OVhDQl04em_jBA4JSjBfnOEr1OoR_xFnLSuXvCp7s4JyTwF4nDzN_Ripg3BgZloOMWUM86avNv1cIzL_FWZWSa1X5MbxaOqR6N8WewNCN1D9LT2ISaQu9kUZ2loPIL60BqbkKy_aQ?width=4160&height=3120&cropmode=none
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sun 17 Jun 2018, 5:18 pm

First time going to Luxembourg today... Bike christened the occasion using the footpeg and to toe slider... Sadly not my knee but that's for tomorrow in the black forest hopefully
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Sun 17 Jun 2018, 7:26 pm

Enjoy your trip James Wink
    BTW, I now understand why your tyres don't last that long ;p
    Llewelyn1965
    Llewelyn1965
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Llewelyn1965 Sun 17 Jun 2018, 9:17 pm

Actually, shouldn't his riding style make them last longer than most? After all, he uses all the sides as much as the middle , while most of us just use the center bit of tread!!! :-)

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Mon 20 May 2024, 7:27 pm