CB500 Club forum
You don’t stop riding because you’re getting old, but you get old when you stop riding.

+51
Al1040
eternally_troubled
chromedome
cheesepiece1
Melitos
Hcb
deejay
smokingsig
stormbringer
liverpool_f_
Drago76
steeeve66
geewhizz
ojacobs1
burudis
Mr Messy
haybunch
Kairos
cc1085
TheWizardofOdds
shropshirewildman
cbcombo
cushdrive
Llewelyn1965
mikethebike
sullivj
ceejay
skyerae
Stevie Gimo
fgclark123
hovis
Grarea
motofan
ANDYC
wornsprokets
ZekeVal
wrighty
r1ncew1nd
tt fan
davecb5002
GollyGosh
Crash- Elmit
trevor machine
Oafski
cj haughey
hh_12345
freeride
Beresford
skyrider
muttley1
Jameshambleton
55 posters

What did you do with your CB500 today?

ZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    Running out of unique names

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by ZekeVal Sun 17 Jun 2018, 9:25 pm

Llewelyn1965 wrote:Actually, shouldn't his riding style make them last longer than most? After all, he uses all the sides as much as the middle , while most of us just use the center bit of tread!!! :-)

True !!  Very Happy

Otherwise, I rode around 700km in two days with the CB this weekend, my neck wasn't used to this kind of distance  Razz 

I went to pick up a new bike, which is gonna be a good project to get her running again.

A few clues: it was built in the same country as my CB

and this:

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 Mini_180617103716387739

geek
    fgclark123
    fgclark123

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 Empty Re: What did you do with your CB500 today?

Post by fgclark123 Mon 18 Jun 2018, 1:11 pm

James, be in France for the night of the 21st - across the country is a giant knees up-  recommended!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%AAte_de_la_Musique
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 18 Jun 2018, 1:13 pm

The cagiva.... elephant...
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Mon 18 Jun 2018, 6:44 pm

wornsprokets wrote:The cagiva.... elephant...
    Never seen one Ken. Have you? What are they like? With a name like that it sounds ponderous. But I'm used to a Tiger 955i which is really challenging - weight wise (at least when the tank is full).  So The Cagiva is probably a lightweight wee thing by comparison.
    wornsprokets
    wornsprokets
    the 900
    the 900

Post by wornsprokets Mon 18 Jun 2018, 7:22 pm

Cagiva elephant bike,  was simular to africa twin...but it had duke engine... cagiva used that elephant sybol i think before was taken over by ducati.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 18 Jun 2018, 8:03 pm

fgclark123 wrote:James, be in France for the night of the 21st - across the country is a giant knees up-  recommended!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/F%C3%AAte_de_la_Musique
    I'll be on the wrong side of Europe but thanks though.

Also went through the black forest today was good fun though as the saying goes "a picture is a thousand words"

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 20180618_165419
    Oafski
    Oafski
    Barry Sheene
    Barry Sheene

Post by Oafski Mon 18 Jun 2018, 8:10 pm

For some reason I was expecting a picture of a Cake.
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Mon 18 Jun 2018, 8:36 pm

Also obvious bandit is obvious What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 EmptyZekeVal
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Mon 18 Jun 2018, 9:16 pm

wornsprokets wrote:The cagiva.... elephant...

Good guess !

It's a 750 Cagiva Elefant (yes with an "F"), inspired by the beasts that rode and won the Paris-Dakar in the late 80's/early 90's.

Looks like this http://databikes.com/infophoto/cagiva/elefant_750-1996.html (mine is not in that good state  Rolling Eyes )

I like the way Italians thought about making dual sport bikes at the time: It's got a big fork (45mm diameter, 200mm travel), big tank (24L), and they squeezed in the Ducati engine from the 750SS (same as Monster 750), and it's still quite light (all things considered) at around 208kg wet.

About the "Fête de la musique" on the night of the 21st, it's a good time to stroll in any French city, yup.

James, looks like these tyres will live a short but intense life  geek
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 19 Jun 2018, 6:11 pm

0.5mm tread lost over 1600km.
    Probably doing a brief bit of enduro this afternoon after a minor lapse of concentration followed by target fixation didn't help.

Managed to knock my speed down from 80kmh down to 20kmh on gravel before going up a hill and kissing the bars and the bike rolling ontop of me before rolling back up the hill. Only injury was a snapped clutch side mirror point so not too bad cable tied it back on to stop unwanted attention from the police.

Got it all on video for you all to laugh at when I get back home
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Tue 19 Jun 2018, 7:38 pm

Oh if anyone wants to keep up what I'm doing my Instagram is the best way to keep track as its the only place I can upkoad photos to at the monent 
    https://www.instagram.com/fourhammersjames/
    If you click or tap on my Instagram photo it should show you other odd shots
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Thu 21 Jun 2018, 9:27 pm

I took off the £6 ebay wristwatch that I had stuck to the top of the dash and wired this in instead.

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 Sam_2911
    Showing time, temperature, and most importantly charging system voltage.
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Thu 21 Jun 2018, 10:24 pm

Wow, that's a luxurious piece of kit! Is it weather proof?
    eternally_troubled
    eternally_troubled
    the 900
    the 900

Awesome!

Post by eternally_troubled Thu 21 Jun 2018, 10:39 pm

ZekeVal wrote:Wow, that's a luxurious piece of kit! Is it weather proof?

No idea, but it (by the look of the photo) is a bit sheltered by the screen, which probably helps a bit.

Not sure I'll be fitting one on my naked bike, though it does look like a useful bit of kit.
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Thu 21 Jun 2018, 11:58 pm

changed my rear shocks for the TEC ones due to a bloody oil leak from the left rear. bit of a pity really as I liked the gas shocks and their adjustability
    Beresford
    Beresford
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Beresford Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:39 am

ZekeVal wrote:Wow, that's a luxurious piece of kit! Is it weather proof?
    There are lots of similar clock/voltage gauges on ebay, but this one has the advantage that the setting buttons are on the front. I weather proofed it (I hope) by smearing silicone electrical grease across them to prevent water being able to get in at all.
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri 22 Jun 2018, 11:05 am

Crash- Elmit wrote:changed my rear shocks for the TEC ones due to a bloody oil leak from the left rear. bit of a pity really as I liked the gas shocks and their adjustability
    I'm looking to change mine very soon. I think it mentions in the haynes to remove the exhaust or muffler ...is that necessary? How did you take the weight off the suspension? I was thinking about jacking it or something?
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:06 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:
    Crash- Elmit wrote:changed my rear shocks for the TEC ones due to a bloody oil leak from the left rear. bit of a pity really as I liked the gas shocks and their adjustability
    I'm looking to change mine very soon. I think it mentions in the haynes to remove the exhaust or muffler ...is that necessary? How did you take the weight off the suspension? I was thinking about jacking it or something?

I did have to remove the end can as you cannot get the bottom bolt out otherwise and my bike just sits down on the front end when on the centrestand so i did not need to raise the rear off the ground but I just did one shock at a time.

good tip for anyone when you remove the rear can, especially on motads, the metal from a soup tin or tin of spuds makes a greatgasket for the joint
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:08 pm

TheWizardofOdds wrote:

I did have to remove the end can as you cannot get the bottom bolt out otherwise and my bike just sits down on the front end when on the centrestand so i did not need to raise the rear off the ground but I just did one shock at a time.

good tip for anyone when you remove the rear can, especially on motads, the metal from a soup tin or tin of spuds makes a great gasket for the joint
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Fri 22 Jun 2018, 12:09 pm

Sorry for the double post, lappy froze when posting message
    TheWizardofOdds
    TheWizardofOdds
    the 900
    the 900

Post by TheWizardofOdds Fri 22 Jun 2018, 1:38 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:Sorry for the double post, lappy froze when posting message
    Ok thanks. 

Is the bolt too long to remove without muffler off or awkward? Just wondered why it needs to come off.
    trevor machine
    trevor machine
    the 900
    the 900

Post by trevor machine Fri 22 Jun 2018, 6:45 pm

Crash- Elmit wrote:
    TheWizardofOdds wrote:

good tip for anyone when you remove the rear can, especially on motads, the metal from a soup tin or tin of spuds makes a great gasket for the joint

That's a great tip - but can I ask a bit of a rude question; do you really buy tinned potatoes?
    Crash- Elmit
    Crash- Elmit
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Crash- Elmit Sat 23 Jun 2018, 4:14 pm

Bolt is too lomg to get out with can on, and yes TM I do buy tinned spuds cos Im too damn lazy to spend ages peeling proper ones when there is only me to cook for
    Jameshambleton
    Jameshambleton
    the 900
    the 900

Post by Jameshambleton Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:10 pm

The last couple of days my bike has developed an issue, from idle up to 4k rpm the bike won't freely rev, I'm guessing this issue is likely to be ablocked jet as 4k upwards is fine and pulls easily.

To get around this if I use the choke under 4k rpm then the bike revs fine. So blocked pilot jets?

I've also drained the carbs once thinking it might have been water but the issue is still occuring.
    ZekeVal
    ZekeVal

Post by ZekeVal Sat 23 Jun 2018, 9:40 pm

James, with these symptoms I would come to a similar diagnostic.

On my side, it was brake job today, changed the front disc, cleaned the caliper and changed the pads retaining pin (it needed heavy persuasion to fit in!).

What did you do with your CB500 today? - Page 10 Mini_180623104046801208

BTW, the front disc is the exact same reference as the one for the 750 Elefant, maybe it's a sign from above  Rolling Eyes

Sponsored content

Post by Sponsored content

Current date/time is Fri 10 May 2024, 1:43 pm